Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Who Are You?

I have been snooping around a bit lately again, looking for more interesting blogs to add to my favorites (I have several, but don't link them on my site). Interestingly enough, I have discovered some blogs of people that I know a little bit about, but then am a little surprised by the things they say (or don't say) on their blogs. It is so interesting to compare the people we see face to face to the (same) people who pour out their souls in written word. Which is the real deal? Are the things we write an idealized version of who we claim to be? Or is what we write about ourselves authentic, and what those around us see is simply a mask? Really, I think we are just such complicated beings, and it's hard to package ourselves completely to present an authentic self to those around us from day to day.
I wonder if people who say "I need to find myself" ever really do. If they do, do they like who they find? or are they sorry they ever went there? How long before they discover that they no longer are that old self they found last time, and have to start the search again?! In any case, I feel sorry for them, because in reality they are struggling to know fully who they are in themselves and I think we are designed by our Creator not to. Why? Because what really matters is who we are in Him, and to not be satisfied with that means that we are looking for another god, often times in our own self.
I mentioned a few posts ago, that I was learning a lot through a Bible study called Believing God by Beth Moore, and was going to eventually share some insights. I don't just want to spew information that you can read for yourself in her book, but rather share my own experiences in relation to what I've learned. That, too, is complicated. I haven't really known where to start. But writing this post has reminded me of a statement from the Pledge of Faith that we stated and explored every week in our sessions:
1. God is who He says He is.
2. God can do what He says He can do.
3. I am who God says I am.
4. I can do all things through Christ.
5. God's Word is alive and active in me.
The Bible--God's Word--has some very specific things to say about who we are. We tend to pay closer attention, though, to who we say we are, or who others say we are. I can't think of a better way to "find myself" than to read what my Creator says about me! There is a blog that I have discovered where the author in "About Me" writes, "The essence of myself is to complicated even for me to understand. That is one of the reasons I am so glad that I know a Friend by whom I am fully known." Read Psalm 139 for more inspiration.

4 comments:

wm said...

I just bought her book, and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! When I started reading it, tears started pouring down my face and I felt so completely filled with expectation of what God was going to teach me through her. And that was the first chapter!! Thanks to you for intoducing me to her - in a roundabout way :)

Sheila said...

I am glad you are experiencing what myself and so many others have through "Believing God" - knowing that good books by inspired authors will come and go, but if they continually point us back to the original "Good Book" (otherwise known as God's Word) that has stood the test of time through a couple of milleniums, they are worth our attention and time.

eph2810 said...

I love Beth's study "Believe God". I have done it twice within the past 6 years, but I am thinking about doing it again...I have learned so much about God and myself, it was refreshing.

Our pastor always reminds us that Christ should increase and we should decrease so His love will be evident to all.

Blessings to you and yours.

thebeloved said...

Beautifully written. It is a great marvel to find yourself where you are...that is "hid with Christ".